Thursday, October 18, 2012

Split Pea and Apple Soup

This recipe is from The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester.

Recipe: see page 52 of The Vegan Slow Cooker.
I got a little over-excited last week when the temperature here in the Los Angeles area dipped into the 70s. The temperature in my loft hadn't been below 80 since June, so I was thinking "Chilly! Autumn! Soup Weather!" And then the temp shot back up into the 90s.

But my brain already flipped into soup-mode, so I went ahead and dug up some interesting recipes from my cookbooks.

I think this is going to be my new go-to recipe for split pea soup. I had been making it with a big chunk of potato, but this recipe does away with that and uses a peeled apple. It's not as thick as pasty as my old soup, and it is mildly sweet. Even though the instructions said to give it 6-8 hours in the slow cooker, it was done after four hours. Good recipe. I'll definitely make it again.

Kathy Hester, the author of the book, has posted the recipe for this on her Healthy Slow Cooking website.

Ingredients: split peas, apple, lemon juice, carrots, celery, thyme, balsamic vinegar, coriander, nutmeg, garlic, bay leaf, water, vegan chicken-flavored bouillon (a recipe for this is included in the book and contains onion, carrots, thyme, celery, parsley, pepper, salt, nutritional yeast and water)